Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Out with the old......

I bought this dress when I was in college. I loved it's classic look, and wore it a lot.


It has been years since I have worn it, but it is still hanging in my closet. Why? Because one day I might like to wear it again.

As I was cleaning out and reorganizing my closet yesterday I saw it and nearly put it in the "keep" pile yet again. In my mind it is fresh and romantic, beckoning a barefoot walk on the beach. In reality, I am a 5 foot frump in it, and how often am I on a beach?!

This blog has been like that dress. I just know it's here, and one day I may actually write about the things I think about.

Today was momentous. I actually loaded the dress up (along with the too big and too small things that I think I may one day fit in again, the long jean skirt that may make a comeback some day, and the expensive formal dress that I've been meaning to put on ebay for a year now) and took it to a consignment store.

And so, in occasion with out with the old, in with the new..... a simple post, hopefully the one that will break the ice, or silence rather.

So much is going on in my life that I almost feel numb to it all. Words are saved for my journal (I still favor pen and ink) and two-way conversations with friends. Life is a whirlwind of preparing for a move to NY, selling our house, grieving the loss of my dear grandfather, and still trying to play mom, wife, and friend.

But silence never does me much good.
Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Lara said...

I'm getting ready for a move, too! It's exhausting.

what's happening in NY?

April Brown said...

I'm so glad you're back...glad to know you got rid of the romantic frock. I think I wore that out on a beach project and let me just say, you should have stopped me... Doesn't it feel great to get rid of all that clutter??!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie, I have that SAME dress, Gap, right? ...Got it in high school and it never looked as good on me as I thought it should :) but it was one of my faves and I think I've still got it in my closet too. I try to hang on to a couple of items I loved to represent each stage of my life, this was one of the things I chose from then.

But i digress...Good luck with your cleaning out and getting ready to move!

Blessings,
Megan T

Angie Davis said...

April, I didn't mention it, but I got it while on SBP. Brett, Bef and I were so excited to load up on linen dresses and skirts. I've seen the pics from that summer - so WHY have I held on to it?!
I need you to come help when I clean out my closets.
Maybe I'll hang the picture in my closet.

katie said...

i just lived in dresses like that one for years. i loved the long linen dress comfort! i also have a few photos of b and i on the beach barefoot (not pregnant.) with me in a similar dress! ha!

analytics

Blog Archive