Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cozying up to change

As of 2 weeks ago, my husband is no longer an employee of Infomedia. There aren't enough words to express my thankfulness to his boss and co-workers for taking him under their wings at the green age of 18, paying his way through school, and instilling much more than work ethic and business sense. Bryan's best friends are there. I love that those are the people he still wants to hang around when business hours are over.

The decision to leave the company was made after much thought, conversation and prayer over the course of a year. The only way we could make the change was if we were confident in the next step. Little did we know that step would be 1000 miles NE.

We had talked before about what a dream it would be for Bryan to work for Worktopia, but the thought was that we could stay in Birmingham, even though they are located in NY. I'll never forget the brief conversation we had while Bryan was there for a few days to work on a project. I was in our cozy little home, snuggled on my couch, Ben and Jerry's in hand, enjoying my little I'm all alone party when Bryan called. I was excited to finally hear from him about how his time was going. Our conversation went something like this:

Bryan: "Hey babe........yeah, looks like I could have a job here...."

Me: "That's fabulous!"

Bryan: "Yeah, and I'm thinking it may be hard to stay in Birmingham. You know, you may really like it here."

click.
dial tone.

No, I didn't hang up on him, we lost service. The next 30 minutes are somewhat blurred in my memory, but I think I recall some tears, and melted ice cream.

Friends that know me know that I love adventure and change. Yet friends who really know me know that I am also fearful of it and would just prefer my life to be comfortable. predictable.

The Lord has been gracious to continually show me that though my circumstances may not always be cozy, He is my comfort; that life may be about change, but He is my constant. He also gave me the most steady and calm man on earth (really) as my husband. Yesterday he recognized my deer in headlights mood and suggested we do something other than the usual TV and computers, which only feed the numbness.



It was quite cozy.

8 comments:

Angie Davis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie Davis said...

You can click on "1000 miles NE" to read about the town we are moving to. I cannot figure out why it is not blue, like the other links.

Anonymous said...

I am excited for you and Bryan...but very much understand your fears. When will all this take place? We will be in B'ham in May...maybe I could see you?

Elizabeth Mather said...

I am excited for y'all though we will miss you all desperately!! I love your new place. It looks great and sounds like a real neat town to live in. Love y'all and hope to see you soon!

becca said...

i am so excited for y'all! for some reason even though i've heard the news so many times i got all teared up when i read this. not exactly sure why because its not like we'll see you any less considering we're way out here in CO. :) i love all of you and am so excited about what God's got in store.

that ben & jerry's looks yum and wish we could challenge ya to some grump :)

étatDame said...

Hey Angie, when are you moving? We are going to be in the States this fall for three months, and we were thinking about making B'ham our home base. One of the "plus's" for us was that you all would be there and we could spend time with you and get to know you better! Bummer!!!!

katie said...

as always, wish you were moving west instead. but nonetheless, i'm happy for you guys! expect a visit!!

G. Twilley said...

Hey - if you can trust google maps for your area, you're only living 2.5 hours from us!

We'll need to connect when you guys move...

analytics

Blog Archive