Friday, June 19, 2009

much given, much to share

My birthday this year was one for the history books. at least my history book....

Bryan had told me the day before that he was going to give me a day off. I nearly fainted. or cried. or maybe I did cry?

My first thought about what I would do with myself was a NYC photo excursion. fun! But the logistics of that - lactating and all, were a little overwhelming. So I tried to think locally and of my favorite things to do - outdoors, walking, reading, writing, coffee.... and why couldn't it be a photo excursion too?

Morning came, and though logic tried to tell me to sleep in (due to being up with the littlest much of the night), adrenaline won out. out the door before nine. no diaper bag. I enjoyed nearly 3 hours at the harbour with all my favorite things before duty called.

When I came home Charlie instantly greeted me singing "happy birthday". I melted, even though I figured Bryan must have told him to do it. We then heard paper ripping down the hall. Bryan, laughing, told me that an hour before Charlie saw him hide a gift and wanted to open it. Bryan had told him that it's was "Mom's birthday" and that he could open it when I got home. He wasted no time. funny kid.

What was in that package was so incredibly cool. Bryan's family picked out a picture frame from Second Line Frames. Can you find similar frames for cheaper? yes. But do they have a story and a cause like this? I love things with a story. It will be a history lesson and even an heirloom for my children. I love it so much!

Can't wait to put a picture of our family inside the frame....


For dinner, Thai, of course....

And the clincher of the day? a cake. made by my husband!

He told me the day before he was going to make one and asked what kind I wanted. My jaw dropped. I didn't even care if the cake got made - I'm not even a cake person - but the thought?! hmmmm, I'd like to make my wife a cake?! I'm trying to hold back the urge to overly gush, but good grief I love that guy.

I made it easy for him - boxed yellow cake, no icing, strawberries and whipped cream. The man made real whipped cream. real. whipped. cream.

He did have a stand mixer though.

Should I mention the part about the oven accidentally being left on for 20 hours? It it wouldn't be blaming, because I was there too........
I shudder to think of our next gas/electric bill.


As Bryan sang "happy birthday" we both felt really strange, almost guilty for putting Charlie to bed early and not letting him join the festivities. So what else was there to do but wake the sleeping baby?



To whom much is given, much should be shared!



12 comments:

Gina said...

I couldn't have dreamed of a better birthday for you. Thanks, Bryan, your a good man

becca said...

yay - glad you had such a great day!!
my brother's a pretty great guy... who got a pretty great girl! =)
love you.

MaryMartha said...

What an incredible day...so excited for you..old lady :) I can't believe we're all getting to be so old!

Cindy said...

That sounds like such an awesome birthday!

April Brown said...

I love it!! What a great frame!

Amy said...

what a great day!!! see you tommorrow

katie said...

oh, i love you... and this a day of angie things...
so glad it was great.
(oh and i've been eyeing those frames for quite some time!!)

Elizabeth Mather said...

Sounds like a great day Angie!! Bryan, you did good! and I am impressed with the cake- chocolate shavings and all!! :-) Love y'all! Loved the picture of Charlie looking at your cake.

Anonymous said...

Yea! What a fun day! I am so glad you had such a wonderful birthday.

The Shulls said...

It's not even my birthday and I'm here all choked up! What a beautiful birthday! So happy for you, thanks so much for sharing it!

peggyc said...

oh, angie, what a beautiful birthday! thanks for sharing it with us! much love and happy birthday!

The Dettling's said...

Don't you just love your life! I thought my birthday was pretty awesome, but yours sounded pretty great too! We've got the best husbands! :) Great photos!

analytics

Blog Archive