It was a glorious morning. Yesterday the sun was shining, the temp was in the 60's (!), and the sidewalks were beckoning for a walk.
In all the excitement I did the unthinkable.......
the horror of every mom.....
I locked myself out of my house.
while the kiddos were still inside.
*to my mom and mother-in-law....we are all now sitting peacefully together. all alive and well*
It is always a little hairy getting both boys and their gear down our steep stairs that lead to the front door and outside into the stroller, car, etc. I had decided to take the diaper bag down first, and once down I thought I'd go ahead and get the stroller set up outside the door. I thought I had left the door propped open and unlocked behind me as I usually do....but as I stepped out I heard the dreaded 'cler-chunk'. Not quite phased yet I grabbed the door knob, only then to realize the horror. no no no....no!
My cell phone was in my bag (still inside) so I ran to the restaurant next door to call Bryan, all the while reminding myself the boys were fine. Sam was in his bed, and Charlie is always out and about everywhere in the house anyway. But every mom knows there is not much calming about your babies being alone in the house.
To add to it all, it was not until I was in the restaurant that I realized I had not yet put my jacket over my 'whisper thin' (as the Gap calls it) t-shirt. Oh...to laugh or cry? None of the cleaning crew that was there spoke English ~ which meant I had to play a little game of charades in my panic. in my whisper thin. I finally got the phone but couldn't get the call to go through. One of the guys was trying to help me, s.l.o.w.l.y.......he didn't know the situation. Tears finally broke loose as I yelled "my kids are upstairs! i'm in a hurry!". Cell phones began to appear and I finally reached Bryan. I prayed he would make it in one piece, knowing he would break every NY law to get there fast.
I then decided to try and see if I could see Charlie through the back door. My fear was put to rest when I saw him pacing the hallway, simply waiting on me to come back. I played my second game of charades of the day, and we both laughed. But after a few minutes he realized something was off. Why wasn't I coming in already? He then started banging on the door screaming, "Mom!" (yes, my 1 year old calls me not "Mommy" or "MaMa", but Mom). When he realized that I was not coming he (now this is the whole reason I am writing out this story....) left, came back with his blanket and paci, and layed by the door. Pick my heart up off the ground! It was precious.
It wasn't too long before my knight in starched business attire came to my rescue. And yes, he did break every law to get there.
8 comments:
WOW! See if I was there I could have come to your rescue! :) Can't wait to see you soon.
Heather told me the story today and I immediately asked what the weather was like!! It really doesn't matter the temp though when you're in your "whisper thins"!! So glad your starched knight didn't get a ticket while saving the day :)
I can't tell you how many times (yes, plural) I've done that. I have a key stashed now for such situations, and my neighbor has a key. Twice (yes, twice), I've had another neighbor break in my house w/ a credit card. That doesn't even count the many times I've called RR home to unlock the door. I've locked us all out, locked the kids in, I've done it all. So don't feel bad!!
What an awful feeling that must have been and thank the Lord Bryan worked not too far from home. Glad everything is okay! Sweet Charlie laying down by the door! wish you had had your camera then!
Oh My Goodness!!!!My heart just stoped for you. I am so sorry however, I am very glad you are ok. Charliee laying next to the door is so sweet!!!!Thank you for posting! I love how you retell you adventures!
Not to make light of the situation, but I feel very confident that, while Bryan was most likely nervous about the situation (especially since he couldn't call you back on your cell phone) and really wanting to come to your aid, there was a certain thrill factor in illegally crossing the interstate and running three red lights.
Glad everything turned out ok!
oh gosh - that is so scary!
so glad everything turned out ok. sweet little c - love that he got his blanket and paci to wait for you =)
bec
Angie your story was scary. That happened to you when you were about charlies age. I broke in with a crow bar. But Clays story is scarer.
Post a Comment