I guess I spent Memorial Day as it should be spent? Although I was born and raised in Alabama, and even have a friend back home who's grandparents still have a cannon in their back yard pointing North at all times, it took me moving to California to see my first Civil War reenactment! I didn't know the West Coast knew anything about the Civil War. I mean, isn't it all about rebel flags and the South rising again? In any case, it was a blast. Pun definitely intended.
Our friends Gene and Laura were in town and all of us, along with the Prentiss family, went to the Santa Cruz Mountains for the day. When I think of Santa Cruz, I think of surfing narly dudes. See below. But when we first arrived I felt like I was back at Tannehill State Park on Pioneer Day. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to patriotically celebrate with the Yankees and the Rebels. My favorite part of the battle was hearing Nick and Oliver's main concern of "who are the good guys, and who are the bad guys?". Reasonable, but how do you answer that one?
We took a steam engine train ride through the Santa Cruz mountains which are filled with giant Redwoods. It was pretty cool. But not really cool. I won't name any names, but the Reverend of the group predicted it would be cold (we were going through the mountains). But it was quite the opposite. Marianne's ice cream was a much welcomed treat.
We later drove to downtown Santa Cruz and took in its hippiness. So eccentric! There are true hippies everywhere along with hitch hikers and homeless people, and yet the shopping is very chic and high end. We then then headed to the beach and watched the daring surfers (they climbed out on the cliffs with big "warning" signs posted everywhere), the sun bathing sea lions, and the dancing, dreadlock bearing bongo guys.
It was a Memorial Day that started with something that, in a way, was so familiar. Yet as the day progressed, I was continually reminded that I'm not in Kansas anymore.
4 comments:
i'm cracking up about the cannon facing north... i hope none of my relatives get shot! thanks for this post...
Now you know that this friend is your friend too, right?
And I hope she reads this!
i have no idea who... oh the dirty little secrets.
I am sad to report that my anonymous friend says that the Northern facing cannons have come down. sigh. But she asked if her new hobby of gator hunting and the fact that her double named daughter wears smocked dresses and bonnets redeemed her. I'll throw in the fact that she's a debutant and call it even.
Post a Comment