As we are enjoying our sushi (even though it was Sushi Boat) tonight we overhear the couple next to us say "well then, you wouldn't want to move to the South....... actually, I might move anywhere but Alabama...". I am pretending to be interested in my dear husband's conversation as well as my tuna, but really I am straining to hear the woman finish her thoughts. No luck. I am now kicking myself for not striking up a conversation. How fun that would have been!
It left us laughing about what she could have meant, as well as reminiscing about the treasures of the South that some will never know. My new friend Ina recently told me about her first experience in the South (she is originally from China). She was on a greyhound going from NY (I think) to Louisiana. At some point two Southern belles boarded just a chattin' away and Ina thought "why are they singing to each other?". I think Ina grew to like it. She says Katie and I are like music to her ears. I'll just pretend that everyone thinks that.
Speaking of what everyone thinks, I was going to list some of my loves and laughs about the South, but wouldn't it be more fun to hear it from y'all? I know only about 3 people know about my little blog, but all y'all come on, belles and rebels alike, and give a shout out (or shout down) to the good 'ole South. Conner, you're first.
6 comments:
the smell of honeysuckle! i was walking lou in orr park the other day and the sweet smell of honeysuckle wafted my way. reminded me of summers growing up in alabama. funny how a smell can take you back. i sound like a bad country song!
oh so true! but just in case honeysuckle keeps you in AL.... I get to smell it here everyday on my way to work! It does make me think of running around in my backyard as a kid though.
Barefoot for some reason. I guess that puts the Alabama in the experience :)
but do you have orr park?
Hey, Angie!
I love honeysuckle, too! There is some near our parking lot at work and it takes me back to my grandparents backyard, sneaking down into the thick, forbidden woods to pluck off one of those sweet blossoms. Ah ... those were the days.
Too bad I'm actually standing in an acre of asphalt in the noisy city.
oh yeah, we miss sweet tea! I actually make it a lot more here than I ever did in AL b/c they don't serve it anywhere here. And any good Southerner knows that no, you cannot just add sugar to cold unsweet tea. We were having BBQ withdrawals until about a month ago when one night, like a beacon on a hill, we found a dive of a place called Uncle Sam's. He rolled out the red carpet for us when we told him we were from AL.
man, i posted a comment on your other sight... i've been missing out!
honeysuckle, barefoot days, etc. now i know where to comment.
Post a Comment