Thursday, May 04, 2006

Sam

So I recently saw the movie "13 Conversations About One Thing". Yeah, I know my good friend Kate already blogged about it. So just read hers if you want. But I have been mulling over one aspect of it for a week. In the end (not that it is a hugely plot driven movie, but if you are like me and don't like a hint of a film given away, stop now!) it seems to say that just a smile or friendly gesture could radically impact someone. Now I am with Kate in that the film really doesn't get at much and should be titled "13 questions with no answers". But it just so happens that I have seen this one idea play out in my own life this week.

I work in a coffee shop where people are in and out constantly. I have simple, shootin' the breeze conversations all the time. Very often though when someone walks away I wonder what is really going on inside them. Is she really as sad and hurt as she seems? Is he really as lonely as he seems? But I feel helpless. I will only see them 30 seconds at any given time.

Now let me quit ramblling and tell you about Sam. My co-workers and I have wondered if the elderly man is deaf, or just doesn't speak English. His first day in he just layed his money on the counter and we played charades to figure out that he wanted an Earl Grey. Everyday since it's the same order, the same friendly smile by us, and the same blank look in response. I always wonder if he thinks I am insincere or just weird. Then, a shift in behavior. This week he shuffled in the door like any other day, but instead of laying down his money he hands a pink rose. A smile and $1.62 is exchanged. An Earl Grey, shuffle to his seat, and a blank look. But this time it was worn by the cashier. A smile did matter to him. And the rose mattered to her.

No comments:

analytics

Blog Archive