Saturday, June 03, 2006

Haircuts an Hula Hoops

I love Saturday mornings here. We sleep in, sip our coffee slowly, walk out our door and wander around downtown. Today we did the usual, but added an interesting visit.

There's a quite unique little hair salon up the street. Sure, when you look in the window you see the usual chic looking stylists, hair products and equipment, but this place offers something more - hula hooping Chinese ladies. Now before your mind goes where it shouldn't, let me explain. Bryan and I walk past this place nearly everyday after work and it never fails - there is always at least one cute little lady hooping away. You can't pass by without giving a mutual smile and wave. I've wondered if it was marketing, exercise, or simply just for fun. Bryan has been needing a cut, so today we decided to find out.

As soon as we walked in the door both of the stylists that were there were so excited to see us (although I was a little disappointed because there wasn't a hoop in sight). With a huge smile they welcomed us with "ah, you finally come! You have such nice smile everyday!". I think they are really saying "it's about time you're getting that hair cut!". Whatever the case, I figure it is worth even a bad cut just to see them so excited. About halfway through I finally ask. "So what's the deal with the hula hoops?". "It's because of the big stomach" she replies. So one of my theories proved correct. Just then another stylist runs to the back to retrieve it. This is no ordinary hoop. It's huge! "Here, you try". Let me just say that the years of P.E's Hula Hooping Queen have not passed me by. If you think Bryan's hair looks bad, blame his hysterical laughing during the cut, not the stylist.

So ladies, we have always wondered why the Asian people have the market on tinyness right? Well, now we know the secret. It's not genes, it's not the diet, it's not even all those crazy Chinese herbs and stuff. It's our very own Christmas present of '85! I'm making a dash to Target right now!

I must say, hula hooping beat reading Chinese magazines while waiting. And maybe I even left a little trimmer.

2 comments:

katie said...

so that's my problem? what will the neighbors think if i take up this activity? i'm strange enough on my street!

Amanda said...

Ha! That is awesome ... I wish I could see that. I'm going to encourage the people here at my Homewood, AL salon to take up The Hoop.

analytics

Blog Archive