Monday, April 10, 2006

57,600 inches

"No way, not 400" they say. "They probably live in a small place, but it has to be bigger than 400 sq. feet!". But no friend, it's our reality. I am reminded of this every time I walk to the kitchen. For most that means simply putting one foot in front of the other. But for us, well, do you remember Catherine Zeta Jones manuvers in Entrapment?

It's easy to become frustrated when I have to use a chair for extra counter space, when I have to put groceries away like working a puzzle, or when I straddle a bicycle to put clothes in the wash. But I have to smile, even as I am sitting now at our makeshift TV tray computer desk. I love our little home. Every one of our 57,600 inches.

Hmm... that number sounds so much better than 400. It's just like the Lord to humble me and renew my perspective. It makes me think of the saying "home is where the heart is" (yes, although it is usually cross-stitched and hanging on our grandparents wall). But isn't it still true? When we leave here, I hope I think about how Bryan was never more than a few feet away, and how we were able to have 10 friends sitting around our coffee table laughing about our forced "Asian style" meal, and really, how simple life was. The benefits have far out weighed the hardships.

A few wonderful things about living in a small space:

It's always cozy!
You are forced to be organized.
It's easy to clean. Just stand in one place, rags in hand, and turn circles.
I'm not tempted to buy home decor.
Cheaper utilities.
It promotes the outdoors!

Bryan thinks we should just add 100 sq. feet per child. Well, we will just save that topic for another blog.





1 comment:

katie said...

you must post more... this is so cute and written so well. blog about your pedestrian lifestyle!!
love you...

analytics

Blog Archive