Wednesday, March 17, 2010

the most daring thing i've ever done

if you're reading this it means i finally hit "publish". i've been sitting on this for a while, but it takes guts to post pictures of yourself, ya know? especially ones that you take of yourself. i've never felt so dorky. except for then, when i used the word "dorky". what's a lesser dorky word for dorky?

but anyway, have you ever taken a picture of yourself in the mirror? if not, i dare you. right now. i mean, do you look at yourself? or at the camera? smile? or no smile? do you put on a little lipstick? i wish i could say these were the only 3 photos i snapped. heh. and yet i still cringe and have to look at them with one eye closed.

oh so myspace. but it just had to be documented.

so here it is, forever engraved on the world wide web....evidence of the most daring thing i've ever done.


i got my hair whacked. really. a foot. and the craziest thing about it is that i really like it. though i still gasp when i catch a side view.


whoa.
and whoa.

and this is nearly a month later.

but i was in desperate need of change, and i couldn't pack up and move across the country again. and my new lip gloss just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

it wasn't until i was sitting in the chair that i decided to go for it; and even then this cut was not exactly what i was going for. i told the stylist "well below my chin and just above my shoulders". i guess it threw her when she asked if i wanted it stacked in the back and i said "sure, why not". i don't think i breathed from then on.

i paid her quickly, ran to the car, and called my sis-in-law who was keeping my boys. i just needed her to know what to expect. i didn't want to be greeted with the dreaded deer-in-headlights look. and she needed to be prepared for tears. my tears.

and then i called bryan, and started with you just need to know.....

and then i called my best friend. the friend that came to my door after having her hair done for prom. who when i opened the door looked like she could smack a puppy (and win an award for best 80's do....). the friend to whom i told, "it's just hair. we can fix it".

so thankfully she returned the favor and told me, it's just hair. it will grow. and then immediately met me for reinforcement (though the first thing she said was, ok, yeah, in the 25 years that i've known you this is definitely the shortest i've ever see your hair. but you can totally pull it off!). everyone needs an honest friend. if you don't have one, i highly recommend getting one.

even though a tiny bit of me really liked it, the cut was just so drastic that i wanted to hole up for a month to avoid all the first reactions of others. either that, or blog about it immediately to at least feel like it was out there. i just dreaded all the "wow, you look different"s, and "oh, you got your hair cut"s, or worst of all - no comment at all.

but then i got over myself.

and remembered how great it is to see photos of my mom and all her styles over the years.

so here's to the 2010 do. i wonder if i'll look back on it as i do pegged jeans?


19 comments:

ruthanne said...

I LOVE IT!!! it looks so good Angie!! gorgeous!

Amy said...

I think it looks GREAT!!!!

amy said...

i LOVE it, and will probably copy it. AFTER, my haircut grows out. yep, went through the same thing and wound up with bangs. still haven't posted pictures on the internet. :) you're braver than i am.

molly b. said...

such a cute haircut...you are beautiful!

Liz said...

it'a always scary to see people for the first time after a change in hairstyle! I really like and think it looks great!

Angie Davis said...

thanks y'all!

this soooo wasn't a plea for affirmation or flattery. but i'll take it anyway ;) thanks!

April Barber said...

I LOVE IT TOO! It is so cute and looks great on you. I want the same cut now.

Cindy said...

I think it looks great! Now I want to cut my hair :-)

Gina said...

don't even compair that cut to the styles I've had over the years, remember the perms and 2" all over. Question, what is the difference in peg leg jeans and skinny jeans?

Laura said...

Before I even read about your hair worries, my first thought was, "Wow, she looks awesome."

thewheelerfamily said...

You look great!! I cut my hair like that a year ago and I've kept it the same way ever since. It's my 30's hair style:)

katie said...

you are a hotty.
the cut is extremely flattering on you.

although the next time you're needing a BIG CHANGE ... just come on out!! ;)

Kathy Campbell said...

It looks so cute! And I just got a similar cut, in fact. Donated almost a foot and I love my do too. It makes me do it instead of just throwing my hair into a ponytail.

Good for you!

heather said...

so since you like change and look great with a short haircut, i'll just live vicariously through you!

jessica said...

I LOVE it!! It looks awesome. ANd i am so glad that you took pictures and put it on your blog!

Amanda said...

When I saw your zoo pics (the first time I'd seen the new 'do), I kept thinking, dang, Angie looks fabulous! I LOVE the haircut, and you look super chic.

Anonymous said...

I will be very honest! It is one of my favorite haircuts that you have ever had:-) I love it! Do you mind if your much older cuz. does the same???:-)

mcclure adoption said...

this is my favorite cut you've had. you are dead sexy. even ellery thinks so.

The Dettling's said...

I loved running into you and seeing your new "do!" You're gorgeous and your friend is right, you can pull anything off. I on the other hand have never had the nerve. I've even thought lately about what I will do when I'm my grandmother's age...will I still be the one with hair to my shoulders? Is that even allowed?! :) It's precious!

analytics

Blog Archive