It was a pleasantly surprising day, in many ways.
I woke up expecting the normal ~ cleaning house, entertaining Charlie, making dinner.... but just as I was gearing up to mop the floors my husband walks in after leaving for work only 20 minutes earlier. My heart leaped as high as Charlie's squeal when he said that he had simply forgotten that he had the day off!
We headed to the city thinking Central Park? The Forbes Toy Museum? The toy train store? (We were thinking what can we do for free, in 4 hours, with child). We knew there would likely be a parade, and traffic, and tried to avoid both ~ unsuccessfully. But that was pleasant surprise number two. Charlie wasn't the only one that enjoyed the parade. I found myself with a tear in my eye watching the firefighters and police officers of NYC pass, as well as Veteran's my grandfathers age. I thought of him. I thought of friends whose husbands are overseas. I waved my flag.

Pleasant surprise number three......And you see that cute little milkshake on the left?
Don't let it fool you. The Shack Attack was a monster. We could only finish a third of it between all of us. Though I think Charlie would have finished it off if we had let him.
But his burger and fries? For the birds.
Surprise number 5 (#4 was that the food was as good as the hype) ~ even after falling asleep in the car, Charlie took a 2 hour nap. I love suprises.
Oh, and we were interviewed by a local news station. I don't know why they picked us out of the masses (the cute kid?) but they did. We are recording it to see if we made it to air, and to see just how Southern we are. Yikes.
6 comments:
What a fun day! Aren't surprises fun :-) wonderful pictures and what a blessing for our veterans!
Love and miss y'all!
Jeremy and I busted out laughing at the same time...I would have had it on the calendar with a huge red circle around an unexpected day off!! I'm so glad you were surprised...five times!! What a great day!
so, much fun!!!!
What great surprises, and great day!
You guys are on such an adventure! So glad you had a fun day. (That pic of Charlie's flag and the marching one could be in a magazine!!) I've loved all the blog updates, and seeing how Charlie's grown - wow!
Beautiful, beautiful post about your grandfather also.
Have a good rest of the week!
Post a Comment