Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Those dreaded chopsticks

You might think that after spending a summer in Thailand I should have become pretty good at eating with chopsticks. I sure thought so. I have always thought that I was pretty decent with a pair any time we ate Chinese in Birmingham. When I dropped food or fumbled with a stick, well, that's just natural right?

The way I saw my little chopstick-skilled world has since come crashing down. How did this happen? Well, I made some friends that are as intimately acquainted with chopsticks as I am with a fork. All of the couples in our supper club are of Asian (mostly Chinese) decent. The other night we had sushi and other Chinese cuisine at a friends house and I realized that my fumbling and dreaded "crossing of the sticks" is indeed..... amateur. Sigh. As I enjoyed dinner with them I couldn't help but to wonder if I looked as motor skill handicapped as a small child, or worse, as impolite as a messy adult. Thankfully they didn't seem to notice, or more likely, they gave me much grace.

Oh well, I guess I can't be good at everything. Do they have classes for this?

No comments:

analytics

Blog Archive