We just returned from a trip to Birmingham where we spent time with family, and Atlanta where Bryan worked at the PCA's General Assembly. I should really tell you about how encouraged I was by seminars I heard, conversations I had, and the new friends that I made there. But who wants to get sappy when we can talk about armadillos?
No, joke, I have pictures to prove that there really are people in this world that consider armadillo hunting a true sporting event. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating. Maybe my family & I were outside when we heard some rustling in the bushes. Maybe I told my mom not to freak out because it wasn't going anywhere. Maybe when I put my camera to my eye the crazy thing RAN BETWEEN MY LEGS! Ok, maybe right beside my leg, but I really did do a better toe touch than I ever did as a cheerleader. Nevertheless, it was a classic Southern family moment that started with a "hey y'all, what's that?" and escalated into everyone running to get there gear (Dad, his warrior pole to poke? it out of the bushes; Mom, a spotlight so she could stand far enough away as to not get trampled but to be sure not to miss anything; and me, my camera because I was sure that no one in CA would believe that this was actually happening). My sister was sad to miss it, but mud ridin' took precedence. Thankfully my brother wasn't there, for I'm sure he would want to fry the poor critter up for a good eatin'.



The rest of my tales from home really don't compare to the night of the armadillo, but a few things are worth mentioning. Only about once a year or so do I crave true Southern cooking, but if I were a little closer to John's Diner in Trussville my tastebuds could be persuaded. Mom took me there fresh off the plane and the fried green tomatoes, corn grits, collard greens, John's famous slaw, and sweet iced tea did not disappoint. Some of you may know that John's was a downtown B'ham landmark for years (my grandfather still raves about his visits there 40 years ago). It now has a new revamped store off Hwy 11. Great (although possibly out of the way) place to take newbies that might be a little overwhelmed by a hole in the wall, with big mama yellin' "what chu want baby?" while slappin' some runny butter beans on a not so squeaky clean plate.
Other things we relished in: BBQ, chick-fil-a, Milo's, sweet tea, did I say BBQ? Hugs, hugs, and more hugs. I don't get many of those on this side of the world. Hearing a mom say to a group of kids "ok, all y'all schooch in for a picture!.Schooch!". Catching up and laughing with family and friends that I so dearly love.
Finally, a few sightings that are better seen than written about:


Where can I get these seeds?

I guess I should be careful in my comment here. But I must mention that there were also statues of Mary and Buddha in other neighbors yards. Was this a friendly neighborhood competition? You also must click on it to get a full appreciation of it.
You can check out the real photos of our sweet time with family and friends at our website, www.bryandavis.net .
2 comments:
thanks for sharing the pics!
I feel that I should comment that what makes this so funny to me is not the statue of Jesus, but the ducks with him. Click for a better view.
Post a Comment