Saturday, December 28, 2013

A Saturday in 2013

2013. 
What a year. 

I had a big post about it all written in my head, but after just filling five pages in my journal about it all, I think I will let images do the talking here. 

I was lucky/privileged/blessed enough to have TWO of my favorite photographers and friends take photos of us this year. Even as a photographer, it is hard to say "take photos of us" because really it is so much more than that. They documented a part of our lives, in the most beautiful way. They helped sear in my memory blips of time that I will never get back. They created images for my children that will help them remember their childhood. They created art that nearly every family can relate to. 

When I asked Katie Purnell to have a session with us, my vision was to capture our lives as it really is, in its most seemingly mundane moments. No beautiful location, just our house. No fun activity, just doing what we do. I even had the thought of being in yoga pants with no make-up because that is really me, but the true me is also more vain than that. So I spent a whole day cleaning my and putting flowers in my vases. And then I was still putting makeup on the first few minutes of our session. 

When Katie gave me a disc of a million images (yes, I really did edit a lot for this post. it was hard) I cried. I cried because sometimes I cry over how long these days can be, and how I can miss the beauty in these very moments. The beauty in tangled hair and cheerios everywhere. 
of mismatched clothes and fights over matchbox cars. 
of unmade beds and whiiiiny kids. OH, the whiny kids. 

of stories read for the thousandth time
and tickles so painful they beg for more. 

So here it is, our little life at home on any given day
(just a little more cleaned up)
~



















































I must note that Bryan and I did not intend to match here. Katie took some photos one morning, then came back a different night for dance party and dinner. As with all late afternoons, I was only thinking about putting dinner on the table. Not until we got these images back did I even realize we were wearing the same thing! 













You can also see Katie's take on this session here.

Words can't thank you enough neighborfriend! 


No comments:

analytics

Blog Archive