Once a week my sister-in-law and I do this really great thing. We keep each others' kids. We take our babies with us, and due to our limited capacity to do such a grand thing it ends up only being 2-3 hours....but still. Free and wonderful childcare every week? Amazing.
So today was my morning "off" and after days of trying to decide what to do with it, I finally settled on staying home. A bit of cleaning, coffee sipping, and reading.
Dreamy.
Baby had shots the day before and was fussy all morning, throwing our schedule (of sorts) awry. I let her sleep as long as she needed, cutting an hour into "my" time. Only two hours....but hey, it's two whole hours.... I'm thinking as I jump through all the hoops of getting us out the door.
Husband then calls to say he has a buy one get one coupon for Ruby Tuesday's if i want to join him for lunch. I would normally scoff at the thought of Ruby Tuesday's for a date, but considering lunch usually means a peanut butter sandwich eaten while standing/towing a baby/putting out fires .... why yes, I would love to join you.
After dropping the boys off and reminding them to share, obey, and use the potty instead of pants I'm finally on my way. Less than an hour and a half left.....but a quiet meal with Bryan....it's all worth it. I sang along to Whinnie the Pooh for 5 minutes before coming to my senses and turning the station to NPR. I relished a few moments of education.
I decide to swing by a fabric shop since I have a few minutes before Bryan can leave. I then, regrettably, decide to buy some. The fabric was so-so, the line was long, and my precious time was ticking. If only I hadn't had the fabric cut I could just leave.
I finally make it to Bryan's office and take Lillie out of her seat, revealing a blowout. Major. Up to her ears. As I'm scrambling for a diaper and wipes I swear I hear a mean little voice in the depths that are my bag saying, "what mom leaves home without diapers and wipes"? No worries, I keep a few in the car. Dear husband just cleaned the car. cuss. I call him and ask, "did you take the diaper out of the car"? "Huh"? He is understandably confused. After a little explanation he is sent scrambling for paper towels. I then proceed to strip and "clean" her with a burp cloth and tea. Yes tea, my special treat I had just bought for my dreamy morning off. When I decide my efforts are good enough, we climb in the front seat to so that I can feed her. At least I can continue my education. Why oh why, did I have to park in a spot where 4 different people would come and go in the parking spaces right next to me? They each give me a stern stare as they think I'm about to drive off with a baby in my lap, then awkwardly come to the realization that I'm nursing. I see their retreating look of "oh, sorry", then pause of wonder as they realize my baby is naked. Don't ask lady!
Bryan at last comes to my rescue with a diaper. How he found a diaper in a company primarily consisting of men - and certainly not babies - I forgot to ask. Thank you, mystery person.
By this point I have concluded that there would be no restaurant sitting, but maybe we could squeeze in a few bites in the car. Bryan leaves to order while I diaper baby. and wait. and wait. Time's up, and baby is fussy. I leave, Lillie screams, and Bryan calls just as I pull onto the interstate to tell me the food is finally ready. Enjoy babe.
So now, 3 hours later, I listen to the whir of my washer fighting poop stains and nibble on a cold, leftover pancake. And think, my life is just as I want it to be.
7 comments:
can so relate. makes me wish we were neighbors.
Angie, I read this and then re-read it out loud to Russell. Wow. Girl, you are an AMAZING writer. You need to WRITE!!! Professionally! This may not be the season :), but you have got to share your talent professionally when you have the opportunity.
Say hello to Bryan for me, and I have to say, I'm with you on Ruby Tuesday...not for a date. :)
One day you and Bryan will have many dinners alone. You will talk about the kids and the grand kids.
loved this post and LOVED your mom's comment!! Made me laugh!
angie. this post reminds me of the days when you (and other young saints) would swoop into my home, wipe my kids snotty nose or change their diaper or take them away for me. oh, the grace god showed me through you!!
wishing i could reciprocate.
xoxo.
I love this post - it made me cry. It will come sooner than you think sweet girl. The sacrifice is so worth it!!!
amy s - that would be awesome.
shireen, ha! you are kind. though i can't see taking my "pen" to anything but my mom blog. but maybe once the fog (spit-up, poop, etc.) clears....
gg - so true
katie - i wish i could still come over and wipe your kids noses!
amy c - so true. hope to see you when you are back this way!
Post a Comment