After a weekend of intense contractions and just feeling "different", I went to the doctor on Monday, April 30, expecting to hear that I would have the baby within the week. She told me "Congratulations, you are 1 cm. Are you interested in coming back at the end of the week to possibly schedule an induction for next week?". I was suprised to hear that, still being 2 weeks away from my due date (May 12). So obviously I left with no hopes of having the baby early. I wasn't dissappointed, I just planned on another week of nesting.
I called Bryan to let him know that our plans for the Norah Jones concert that night were still on. We laughed later about how if Charlie did come that night we would have to give Norah some credit. Thanks Norah.
Evidently Bryan wasn't sleepy when we got home, so he decided to pop a sleeping pill. We thought about Father of the Bride II and laughed at the picture of Bryan loopy and unmanageable in the hospital. We finally settled in bed and both let out a big sigh of relief to be there. It was only minutes later that I feel the balloon burst. I jump up and out of the bed and yell that my water broke. Bryan lay wide-eyed in disbelief, then we both ran around like chickens with their heads cut off. I was shaking with fear, and trying to process all the thoughts rushing through my head. The contractions began immediately, about 5 min. apart.
We arrived at the hospital around 1:30 am and I began the process with much anxiety, and pain. I think it was the grace of God that made Bryan pop the sleeping pills b/c I really didn't want to talk or be touched at all, and he was able to actually sleep a little. I was at 4 cm and able to get the epidural at around 4 am, but it took the anesthesiologist a while to get there. During this time Bryan leaned over to pray for us to which I responded, "pray silently". By the time the anesthesiologist arrived my contractions were on top of each other and I was nearly 8 cm. Bryan says he thought I might pull the arm off the bed. I had 2 contractions during the epidural - thankfully - b/c all fear I had of it disappeared (other than the fear of being paralyzed from flinching from the pain of the contraction). Once it set in, the epidural was the closest thing to heaven I have experienced. I was all of a sudden a different person, able to enjoy this time with Bryan and my nurse.
Charlie arrived at 11:03 am, May 1 at 5 lbs., 15 oz., 20 1/4 inches. We had a little scare as he didn't cry for the first minute or so. Maybe he's just a laid back little soul. The rest of the day was quite surreal. I just couldn't put my head around this little guy being ours. But it was beautiful.
The rest of our stay in the hospital is a blur. No sleep for 48 hours, literally. I loved my nurses, but I wish they didn't come in the room (seemingly) every 30 minutes.
We are now happy to be home, and actually loving this little slice of life. Welcome Charles Bryan Davis! We are overwhelmed with love for you!
2 comments:
this is great... you will not regret recording all of this about his life... keep it up even though it's hard to find time! :)
Thanks for taking the time to give us the details! I loved reading about Charlie's birth and it brought tears to my eyes. Birth is such a miracle!!! Bring Charlie to France soon so we can meet him!!!
Post a Comment