Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Home Ownership and the Silicon Valley. Jumbo Shrimp?

For many people here in the Valley it isn't, but for Bryan and I, owning a home in the Silicon Valley is nothing more than an oxymoron.

Yesterday I was taking a nice little stroll through Mtn. View and I stumbled across a cute little cottage for sale. It looked like maybe 3 bedrooms, 1 or 2 baths, tiny yard, but so cute. I knew it would be out of our range (as if we even have a range out here), but I called about it anyway. The friendly agent let me know "yes, the 3/2 cottage is 1.2". For those of you scratching your heads, that is indeed ONE POINT TWO MILLION GEORGE WASHINGTON'S! It's funny how the "point two" part of it sounds like nothing, and yet that is a whole NICE Southern house. I should be used to it by now, we've been here nearly a year, but my jaw dropped nonetheless. I let her know that the price was "a little out of our range", trying not to sound like the little kid that I suddenly felt like. Of course she proceeds to ask me just what my range is. How am I supposed to respond? Even if I cut the price of that tiny place in half I am still way out of our "range". But I said it anyway, "oh, more like $450 - $500". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw the first property she sent me via email: http://www.lindasoto.com/PropertyDetails?ls=REIL&pid=630981&show_virtual_tour=yes&show_description=yes&show_address=yes .
Be sure to view the last picture (number 6). I was sold when I saw that one.

Yesterday I was talking to a friend about the plans we make in life. It seems that when you don't plan, nothing happens, but when you do, something very different actually takes place. I didn't even have to plan to own a house by the time I was 30, I just "knew" it would happen. I thought it was a no brainer. White picket fence and all. But here we are, NYC pricing, Birmingham job. But again, who knows what the future holds?

On the flip side, price is relative to demand. People want to be here, we want to be here (don't freak out Mom, I just mean for now). A house is rarely on the market longer than a month. The reasons for that are endless, but I'll save that for another blog.

But before I close my eyes and dream of square footage and closet space, I have to post some great oxymorons I found in my search for one other than jumbo shrimp.

Head Butt, Tax Return, Dodge Ram, Barenaked Ladies, Healthy Tan, Act Naturally, Resident Alien, Birth Control, Personal Computer, and my favorite: Microsoft Works.

Oh my gosh, the Siliconization is happening. I'm definitely turning into a geek.

2 comments:

Lara said...

Funny, Angie. :) I think sometimes it really is better to rent....

The house could be cute... it just needs some TLC (and a big dumpster).

katie said...

we could just all make a commune somewhere in the mountains and live off the land. i'm sure mountian lions cook nicely over an open fire. who needs a house anyway??

analytics

Blog Archive