Thursday, February 06, 2014

Snowpocalypse 2014



It was a normal day. I dropped the boys of at school like I normally do, and wondered if there would be a few flurries as predicted. I watched them come with excitement, knowing the boys would love to play when they got home. 

I was babysitting my nephews that morning and when my sister-in-law came to pick them up she said it had taken her nearly an hour to drive 5 miles to my house, due to every slight hill being completely frozen over and cars sliding. This wasn't typical of the South. It usually takes hours before snow *might* stick to the road, giving everyone plenty of time to get home from school and work (yeah, I know, we could have snow chains but they would get really dusty). I still didn't think too much of it as Bryan has 4 wheel drive, but he couldn't even make it out of his parking lot. After it took a friend's husband 8 hours to get to the school we decided the boys should just spend the night there (as if we had a choice...). I wasn't worried about them - I knew they were in good hands and would have a blast with the 80 other kids stuck there. and they did. Movies, hamburgers, bedtime stories, and all actually asleep by 8! My biggest concern was for the teachers. and the thought of 2 nights there, as the fun would surely have worn. 

Thankfully Bryan was able to make it to get them by the next afternoon. Our reunion looked very different than I thought it would (squeals and hugs and snow playing), but this one made much more sense. Photo by my sweet neighbor, http://www.katiepurnell.com/



There were meltdowns of epic proportions that afternoon from all my sleepy people. but I didn't care. I wanted them however they came. 

My heart is heavy tonight, after hearing that a sweet man who had helped people on roads near the school for hours passed away, due to a head injury from slipping on the ice. Thank you, Mr. 






No comments:

analytics

Blog Archive